Recent News and Analysis
- ViaSat, Inc. - New Contracts Result In Fiscal Fourth-Quarter Gain; Stock Advances
- Autodesk, Inc. - Shares Slip On Sluggish First-Quarter Results And Tempered Guidance
- Aruba Networks - Disappointing Fiscal Third-Quarter Results Send Shares Sliding
- Dell Inc. - Stock Barely Moves Despite Poor April-Quarter Results
- Eagle Bulk Shipping - Settlement Lifts First-Quarter Results; Stock Trades Higher
- Wal-Mart Stores - April-Period Results Disappoint; Shares Dip
- Cisco Systems - Stock Surges On Solid April-Period Report
- Computer Sciences - Mixed Fourth-Quarter Results Draw The Ire Of The Investment Community; Stock Declines
This article touches on the importance of having an understanding of balance sheet considerations when investing, particularly during tougher economic times. We describe Value Line’s Financial Strength ratings system, and list the main factors that determine individual categories. We also note some of the different capital structures among industries.
The Securities Brokerage Industry is cyclical and comprised of two distinct types of businesses. Brokerages, also known as financial services companies, strive to meet the investing needs of their clients, and exchanges facilitate securities trading. Net profits correlate to the performance of the broader equity market. Some hold up better than their peers during bear markets.